    SubjectRe: 2.6.34-rc2 - crash on shutdown
    From
    On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de> wrote:
    > David R wrote:
    >> I recently upgraded my kernel to the .34 rc, and I'm getting the
    >> following crash on shutdown (see attached console image)
    >
    > Mee too, also in amd_pmu_cpu_offline().
    >
    > The only pointer access in this function is cpuhw->amd_nb, but
    > I don't see any obvious bugs.

    I reported a problem with the AMD initialization just last week.
    There is an issue with amd_pmu_cpu_online() which gets called
    too early, and thus fails. That leaves some bogus state and causes
    a crash in amd_pmu_cpu_offline().

    I proposed a fix which was rejected. The alternative involves moving
    some the of CPU initialization code (on AMD) to an earlier position,i.e.,
    which would be executed before the CPU_STARTED notifier. Nobody
    has proposed anything else so far.

    --
    Stephane Eranian  | EMEA Software Engineering
    Google France | 38 avenue de l'Opéra | 75002 Paris