    SubjectRe: 2.6.34-rc2 - crash on shutdown
    On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Clemens Ladisch <> wrote:
    > David R wrote:
    >> I recently upgraded my kernel to the .34 rc, and I'm getting the
    >> following crash on shutdown (see attached console image)
    > Mee too, also in amd_pmu_cpu_offline().
    > The only pointer access in this function is cpuhw->amd_nb, but
    > I don't see any obvious bugs.
    I reported a problem with the AMD initialization just last week.
    There is an issue with amd_pmu_cpu_online() which gets called
    too early, and thus fails. That leaves some bogus state and causes
    a crash in amd_pmu_cpu_offline().

    I proposed a fix which was rejected. The alternative involves moving
    some the of CPU initialization code (on AMD) to an earlier position,i.e.,
    which would be executed before the CPU_STARTED notifier. Nobody
    has proposed anything else so far.

    > Regards,
    > Clemens

    Stephane Eranian  | EMEA Software Engineering
    Google France | 38 avenue de l'Opéra | 75002 Paris
    Tel : +33 (0) 1 42 68 53 00
    This email may be confidential or privileged. If you received this
    communication by mistake, please
    don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
    attachments, and please let me know that
    it went to the wrong person. Thanks

      Last update: 2010-03-23 14:33    [W:0.020 / U:8.976 seconds]