SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 1/3] netpoll: add generic support for bridge and bonding devices
David Miller wrote:
> From: Cong Wang <amwang@redhat.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:13:43 +0800
>
>> Matt Mackall wrote:
>>> Seems like a lot of interface for something to be used by only a
>>> couple
>>> core drivers. Hopefully Dave has an opinion here.
>>>
>> Yeah, I worry about this too, maybe we can group those methods
>> for netpoll together into another struct, and just put a pointer
>> here?
>
> This looks like it's tackled at the wrong layer, to be honest.
>
> Teaching all of these layers about eachother's states is
> going to end up being a nightmare in the end.
>
> All of this "where is the npinfo" business can be handled
> generically in net/core/dev.c I think, with none of these
> callbacks.
>
> For example, something like "if dev lacks ->npinfo, check
> it's master".

This is a good point! I haven't tried but certainly this is
worthy a try. Ideally those callbacks can be all removed,
but I don't know if this is true practically. ;)

I will try.

> Another thing, I wouldn't iterate over all devices, like I
> see in the bonding poll controller method. Just whichever
> one supports netpoll you see first, use it and exit
> immediately. Don't send it to every single port, I can't
> see how that might be desirable or useful.

Yeah, for bonding case, probably. But for bridge case, I think
we still need to check all, right?

Thanks!

  Last update: 2010-03-23 05:47    [W:0.041 / U:0.548 seconds]