SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
On 03/23/2010 02:15 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 12:55 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>> Lets look at the ${HOME}/.qemu/qmp/ enumeration method suggested by
>>> Anthony.
>>> There's numerous ways that this can break:
>>
>> I don't like it either. We have libvirt for enumerating guests.
>
> We're stuck in a rut with libvirt and I think a lot of the
> dissatisfaction with qemu is rooted in that. It's not libvirt that's
> the probably, but the relationship between qemu and libvirt.
+1
The obvious reason why so many people still use shell scripts rather
than libvirt is because if it just doesn't provide what they need.
Every time I've looked at it (and I've been looking for a better
solution for many years), it seems that it would have provided most of
the things I needed, but the remaining bits were unsolvable.

Shell scripts can be ugly, but you get total control.

Antoine