    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
    On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:31:49PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    > >> What about line number information?  And the source?  Into the kernel with
    > >> them as well?
    > >
    > > Sigh. Please read the _very first_ suggestion i made, which solves all that. I
    > > rarely go into discussions without suggesting technical solutions - i'm not
    > > interested in flaming, i'm interested in real solutions.
    > >
    > > Here it is, repeated for the Nth time:
    > >
    > > Allow a guest to (optionally) integrate its VFS namespace with the host side
    > > as well. An example scheme would be:
    > >
    > >   /guests/Fedora-G1/
    > >   /guests/Fedora-G1/proc/
    > >   /guests/Fedora-G1/usr/
    > >   /guests/Fedora-G1/.../
    > >   /guests/OpenSuse-G2/
    > >   /guests/OpenSuse-G2/proc/
    > >   /guests/OpenSuse-G2/usr/
    > >   /guests/OpenSuse-G2/.../
    > >
    > >  ( This feature would be configurable and would be default-off, to maintain
    > >    the current status quo. )
    >
    > Heh, funny. That would also solve my number one gripe with
    > virtualization these days: how to get files in and out of guests
    > without having to install extra packages on the guest side and
    > fiddling with mount points on every single guest image I want to play
    > with.

    FYI, for offline guests, you can use libguestfs[1] to access & change files
    inside the guest, and read-only access to running guests files. It provides
    access via a interactive shell, APIs in all major languages, and also has a
    FUSE mdule to expose it directly in the host VFS. It could probably be made
    to work read-write for running guests too if its agent were installed inside
    the guest & leverage the new Virtio-Serial channel for comms (avoiding any
    network setup requirements).

    Regards,
    Daniel

    [1] http://libguestfs.org/