    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
    On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:31:21PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > Lets see one example of that thought process in action: Oprofile.

    Since you are talking so much about oProfile in this thread I think it
    is important to mention that the problem with oProfile was not the
    repository separation.

    The problem was (and is) that the kernel and the user-space parts are
    maintained by different people who dont talk to each other or have a
    direction where they want to go with the project. Basically the reason
    of the oProfile failure is a disfunctional community. I told the
    kernel-maintainer several times to also maintain user-space but he
    didn't want that.

    The situation with KVM is entirely different. Avi commits to kvm.git and
    qemu-kvm.git so he maintains both. Anthony is working to integrate the
    qemu-kvm changes into upstream qemu. Further these people work very
    closely together and the community around KVM works well too. The
    problems that oProfile has are not even in sight for KVM.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-03-22 12:13    [W:0.020 / U:4.500 seconds]