SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
On 03/21/2010 11:00 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On 03/21/2010 09:59 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>
>>> Frankly, i was surprised (and taken slightly off base) by both Avi and Anthony
>>> suggesting such a clearly inferior "add a demon to the guest space" solution.
>>> It's a usability and deployment non-starter.
>>>
>> It's only clearly inferior if you ignore every consideration against it.
>> It's definitely not a deployment non-starter, see the tons of daemons that
>> come with any Linux system. [...]
>>
> Avi, please dont put arguments into my mouth that i never made.

Sorry, that was not the intent. I meant that putting things into the
kernel have disadvantages that must be considered.

> My (clearly expressed) argument was that:
>
> _a new guest-side demon is a transparent instrumentation non-starter_
>
> What is so hard to understand about that simple concept? Instrumentation is
> good if it's as transparent as possible.
>
> Of course lots of other features can be done via a new user-space package ...

I believe you can deploy this daemon via a (default) package, without
any hassle to users.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans