    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
    On 03/21/2010 11:00 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com> wrote:
    >

    >> On 03/21/2010 09:59 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Frankly, i was surprised (and taken slightly off base) by both Avi and Anthony
    >>> suggesting such a clearly inferior "add a demon to the guest space" solution.
    >>> It's a usability and deployment non-starter.
    >>>
    >> It's only clearly inferior if you ignore every consideration against it.
    >> It's definitely not a deployment non-starter, see the tons of daemons that
    >> come with any Linux system. [...]
    >>
    > Avi, please dont put arguments into my mouth that i never made.

    Sorry, that was not the intent. I meant that putting things into the
    kernel have disadvantages that must be considered.

    > My (clearly expressed) argument was that:
    >
    > _a new guest-side demon is a transparent instrumentation non-starter_
    >
    > What is so hard to understand about that simple concept? Instrumentation is
    > good if it's as transparent as possible.
    >
    > Of course lots of other features can be done via a new user-space package ...

    I believe you can deploy this daemon via a (default) package, without
    any hassle to users.

      Last update: 2010-03-21 22:47    [W:0.021 / U:29.700 seconds]