SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
On 03/22/2010 02:17 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Anthony Liguori<anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:

>>> Erm, my usability points are _doubly_ true when there are multiple guests ...
>>>
>>> The inconvenience of having to type:
>>>
>>> perf kvm --host --guest --guestkallsyms=/home/ymzhang/guest/kallsyms \
>>> --guestmodules=/home/ymzhang/guest/modules top
>>>
>>> is very obvious even with a single guest. Now multiply that by more guests ...
>>>
>> If you want to improve this, you need to do the following:
>>
>> 1) Add a userspace daemon that uses vmchannel that runs in the guest and can
>> fetch kallsyms and arbitrary modules. If that daemon lives in
>> tools/perf, that's fine.
>>
> Adding any new daemon to an existing guest is a deployment and usability
> nightmare.

Absolutely. In most cases it is not desirable, and you'll find that in a
lot of cases it is not even possible - for non-technical reasons.
One of the main benefits of virtualization is the ability to manage and
see things from the outside.
> The basic rule of good instrumentation is to be transparent. The moment we
> have to modify the user-space of a guest just to monitor it, the purpose of
> transparent instrumentation is defeated.

Not to mention Heisenbugs and interference.

Cheers
Antoine