    SubjectRe: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

    * Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

    > > So it's good enough to be in Fedora/RHEL but not good enough to be in
    > > upstream glibc? How is that possible? Isnt that a double standard?
    >
    > Yes its a double standard
    >
    > Glibc has a higher standard than Fedora/RHEL.
    >
    > Just like the Ubuntu kernel ships various ugly unfit for upstream kernel
    > drivers.

    There's a world of a difference between a fugly driver and a glibc patch.

    Also, we tend to upstream even fugly kernel drivers if they are important and
    are deployed by a major distro - see Noveau.

    > > kernel's fault. But glibc is certainly not being helpful in that situation
    > > either and your earlier claim that you are only waiting for the patches is
    > > rather dishonest.
    >
    > I am sure Ulrich is being totally honest, but send him the patches and
    > you'll find out. Plus you will learn what the API should look like when you
    > try and create them ...

    I was there and extended/fixed bits of the kaio/libaio code when they were
    written so yes i already know something about it. To say that the glibc
    reaction was less than enthusiastic back then is a strong euphemism ;-)

    So after 8 years some of the bits made its way into Fedora/RHEL.

    I think this is a pretty good demonstration of the points i made ;-)

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2010-03-18 23:19    [W:4.219 / U:0.184 seconds]