    SubjectRe: Will's kernel compilation error
    On 17/03/10 08:34, Raúl Porcel wrote:
    > Have one.
    > My error is as follows:
    > net/built-in.o: In function `svc_auth_unregister':
    > (.text+0xb822c): relocation truncated to fit: GPREL16 against `.sbss'

    Right, I've confirmed that with the supplied config. What's happening
    is that the small data area (where certain static data are stored) has
    exceeded 64kB which is the limit under the small data model. As noted
    elsewhere on this thread it can be solved by compiling with the large
    data model, but that incurs extra CPU instructions whenever the data
    area is accessed.

    A better solution, in my view, is to concert some drivers to modules. I
    note that the config has a large number of devices to be built (some of
    which are denoted as having been tested on x86/x86_64/ia64 only). I
    converted a few drivers, and most of the selected filesystems (do you
    really need them all at boot time?) into modules. The kernel then
    builds correctly.

    But if people insist on being able to build impractical monolithic
    kernels on Alpha I will post my patch to add a kernel option for the
    large data model.

      Last update: 2010-03-17 08:37    [W:0.020 / U:58.356 seconds]