    SubjectRe: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing
    Sorry about the lack of any useful information in my initial email.
    I clearly didn't read it before sending.

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:24:39 -0400, tytso@mit.edu wrote:
    > What kernel version are you using; what distribution and what version
    > of that distro are you running; what file system are you using and
    > what if any mount options are you using? And what kind of hard drives
    > do you have?

    While this problem has been around for some time, my current configuration
    is the following:

    Kernel 2.6.32 (although also reproducible with kernels at least as early as 2.6.28)
    Filesystem: Now Btrfs (was ext4 less than a week ago), default mount options
    Hard drive: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS)

    > I'm going to assume you're running into the standard ext3
    > "data=ordered" entagled writes problem. There are solutions, such as
    > switching to using ext4, mounting with data=writeback mode, but they
    > have various shortcomings.

    Unfortunately several people have continued to encounter unacceptable
    latency, even with ext4 and data=writeback.

    > A number of improvements have been made in ext3 and ext4 since some of
    > the discussions you quoted, but since you didn't tell us what
    > distribution version and/or what kernel version you are using, we
    > can't tell you are using those newer improvements yet.

    Sorry about that. I should know better by now.

    - Ben

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans