SubjectRe: RFC: direct MTD support for SquashFS
Date

Ferenc> Hi,

Ferenc> In embedded systems, SquashFS over MTD would be a considerable
Ferenc> win, as that would permit configuring without CONFIG_BLOCK.
Ferenc> Please find attached a naive patch against 2.6.33 for this. It
Ferenc> does not handle bad MTD blocks, that could be handled by gluebi
Ferenc> (once you're willing to take the UBI overhead), or by a custom
Ferenc> solution later.

Ferenc> For now, 2.6.34 gained pluggable decompressors, so this patch
Ferenc> does not apply anymore, though the main idea holds. My
Ferenc> questions: is the community interested in integrating something
Ferenc> like this, should this patch transformed into something
Ferenc> acceptable, or am I a total lunatic? I don't know a thing
Ferenc> about filesystem development, but willing to learn and
Ferenc> refactor. Comments welcome.

Nice, I have been thinking about that as well. What kind of size savings
are you getting with this?

CC'ing linux-embedded as this might be of interest there as well.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

  Last update: 2010-03-16 15:35    [W:0.102 / U:0.280 seconds]