SubjectRe: USBFS Memory allocation Bug
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:56:22 -0500 (EST) Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> > > In theory almost anything is possible. But it would be a big effort
> > > and not consistent with the way the rest of the driver works.
> > >

> > Then about the only other suggestion would be a mempool containing a small
> > number of largest-possible buffers that is enabled if there is no swap
> > available.
>
> Considering that this is the first report I have heard about this sort
> of problem, and that adding swap space would probably fix it, I'm not
> inclined to make any changes.

Adding swap space is unlikely to help here. For an order-6 allocation
the page allocator will go into wtf-youre-kidding-me mode and won't
even bother trying.

Asking the allocator for 2^6 physically contiguous pages is terribly
unreliable and shouldn't be done by any kernel code which wants to be
useful.

  Last update: 2010-03-15 03:35    [W:0.080 / U:3.460 seconds]