SubjectRe: [BUGFIX] Fix AES-NI CTR optimization compiling failure with gas 2.16.1
On 03/12/2010 10:42 AM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Avi Kivity<avi@redhat.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:37:33 +0200
>

>> Eventually you'll port the entire assembler into macros, as
>> instructions are introduced more frequently that people upgrade their
>> assemblers. Maybe we should disable the new features and warn people
>> (and distros) to upgrade their tools instead.
>>
> I totally and completely disagree.
>
> It would have taken more than a year to get Niagara cpu support out to
> people if I had done what you are suggesting.

Strange, that people can install a new kernel, but not a new assembler.

> And here we're talking about one instruction in one specialized case
> in a very piece of crypto module assembler.

If it were one place, I'd agree, but there are more. kvm for example
also uses .byte instead of the actual instructions.

  Last update: 2010-03-12 09:49    [W:0.052 / U:0.496 seconds]