SubjectRe: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.
Date
On Thursday 11 March 2010, tytso@mit.edu wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 08:35:26PM +0530, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
>> The real problem, here is just that partitioning-tools should create
>> partitions that can work with both XP as well as Windows7. May be distro
>> installers, should ask the user which compatibility he needs.
>
>4k aligned sectors will *work* with Windows XP, will it not? It's
>just simply a matter of Windows XP, being really ancient, doesn't
>create properly alligned partitions by default.
>
>And how often are we going to see Windows XP systems with these new 4k
>physical sector drives anyway, where the first OS to touch the
>partition is Windows XP? And in the case where this does happy, the
>resulting partition will be result in terribly performance for Windows
>XP as well as Linux.
>
>What's the specific scenario which you are trying to solve, and how
>likely is it to occur in real life?

And potentially one more question from a list lurker, Ted. Where are the
tools that allow us to check and/or adjust that? I ask since I have 3 of
these terrabyte drives in this box now and have no clue how to either check
to see if we're off, or how to fix it if it is. And I have called my self
following this discussion without noting if the tools have been specifically
named.

Thanks

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Authors are easy to get on with -- if you're fond of children.
-- Michael Joseph, "Observer"

  Last update: 2010-03-11 17:29    [W:0.122 / U:0.248 seconds]