SubjectRe: smatch_scripts/whitespace_only.sh
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:14:53AM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>
> > I wrote a script to check that a patch only changes white space.
> > It compiles the files before and after the patch is applied and
> > verifies that they are the same.
> >
> > You'll need to compile smatch:
> > git pull git://repo.or.cz/smatch.git
> > make
> > cd /path/to/kernel/src/
> > /path/to/smatch_scripts/whitespace_only.sh <patch>
> >
> > Adding or removing parenthesis and curly braces counts as a code
> > change. Changes to comments, #if 0, white space changes do not.
> >
> > You can fix a lot of style violations if you limit yourself to
> > adding and removing tabs, spaces and new lines. Then the next
> > patch could remove unneeded parenthesis. It would be easier to
> > audit that way instead of everything mixed together.
> >
> > regards,
> > dan carpenter
> >
> > PS. I feel really bad slagging the newbies trying to help.
> > Could we fix checkpatch.pl to not complain about line lengths?
>
> I hope not... Are newbies really put off by having to add a newline here
> and there?
>
> julia

The problem is that newbies are only too happy to chop lines up into smaller
and smaller bits. :P I've seen situations where the actual author of the code
broke up _his own_ perfectly reasonable code into tiny chunks just to satisfy
checkpatch.pl.

printk("blah blah blah blah"
"blah blah"
"blah");

It would be great if people dealt with checkpatch warnings by breaking
things out into separate functions and eliminating indent levels but
that never happens.

regards,
dan carpenter

ps: Emacs starts with an 80 character window by default. On my login
I have a ~/bin/emacs shell script that invoke real emacs as full screen.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/emacs -fh -fw --no-splash $@

  Last update: 2010-03-10 15:31    [W:2.333 / U:0.188 seconds]