    SubjectRe: tracking memory usage/leak in "inactive" field in /proc/meminfo?
    * KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@jp.fujitsu.com> [2010-02-10 09:32:07]:

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm on a 2.6.27 x86 system and I'm
    > > seeing the "inactive" field in /proc/meminfo slowly growing over time to
    > > the point where eventually the oom-killer kicks in and starts killing
    > > things. The growth is not evident in any other field in /proc/meminfo.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure out where the memory is going, and what it's being
    > > used for.
    > >
    > > As I've found, the fields in /proc/meminfo don't add up...in particular,
    > > active+inactive is quite a bit larger than
    > > buffers+cached+dirty+anonpages+mapped+pagetables+vmallocused. Initially
    > > the difference is about 156MB, but after about 13 hrs the difference is
    > > 240MB.
    > >
    > > How can I track down where this is going? Can you suggest any
    > > instrumentation that I can add?
    > >
    > > I'm reasonably capable, but I'm getting seriously confused trying to
    > > sort out the memory subsystem. Some pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > can you please post your /proc/meminfo?

    Do you have swap enabled? Can you help with the OOM killed dmesg log?
    Does the situation get better after OOM killing. /proc/meminfo as
    Kosaki suggested would be important as well.

    --
    Three Cheers,
    Balbir

      Last update: 2010-02-10 04:55    [W:0.024 / U:0.760 seconds]