    SubjectRe: Proposal to move PCI out of arch/powerpc and into drivers/of
    On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 16:07 -0700, John Linn wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We are in the process of putting PCI/PCIe into the microblaze
    > architecture.
    >
    > In order to not duplicate/fork the PCI code in Powerpc, we're proposing
    > to move the PCI code from arch/powerpc into drivers/of such that it
    > would be common code for Powerpc and MicroBlaze.
    >
    > This would be the 1st part of a refactoring that would occur with the
    > PCI code.
    >
    > Ben H., would you mind if that happened (move arch/powerpc/kernel/pci*
    > to drivers/of/*)?

    I don't think we should move the whole thing. I know Grant plans to move
    parts of it though. There's quite a few things in there that are still
    quite powerpc specific (and even different between ppc32 and ppc64).

    I wouldn't mind in the long run if we could make some of powerpc's PCI
    implementation bits more generic, such as struct pci_controller, and the
    MMIO/PIO remapping mechanisms, since many archs do more or less the same
    thing and all in subtely different ways. But that would have to go to
    drivers/pci.

    Then there's the whole deal with matching OF nodes with PCI devices. A
    lot of that is still different even between ppc32 and ppc64. I don't
    think any of that is ready to be moved to drivers/of, it's not generic
    enough by far.

    Cheers,
    Ben.

      Last update: 2010-02-28 01:35    [W:0.023 / U:67.996 seconds]