SubjectRe: Firmware versioning best practices II
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org> wrote:
> Hi David,

>> > Ah ok. I indeed do that manually with iwlwifi firmware :)

>> > Right. Though I guess we could come up with a unified firmware wrapper
>> > format that the firmware loader can unwrap.
>>
>> I suppose we could, but this seems like overkill to me.
>
> I have to agree. This looks like total overkill to me.
>
> Just use the $APIVER in the firmware filename.

OK -- so what goes into linux-firmware is just the latest

foo-$(API)

> And if someone wants to
> keep track of more details then they can manually symlink them.

Well do we want the older foo-$(API)-$(VAR) files in linux-firmware
too for those companies/developers wishing to do this?

What about deprecating APIs of the firmware based on kernel releases.
I see it reasonable to deprecate a firmware API completely for a
future kernel release provided you maintain all features and
functionality in par. Does that sound reasonable?

> Unless we have full control over the source code of every firmware used
> in the kernel, why bother. It is up to the companies providing them
> anyway to make sure everything works as expected and the community can't
> fix it.

Well that's exactly it -- we do have access to the code for ar9170 for
example, so these details will become more relevant in the future.

Luis

  Last update: 2010-02-22 20:17    [W:3.339 / U:0.024 seconds]