    SubjectRe: sendfile() expert advice sought
    On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Bryan Donlan <> wrote:
    > sendfile() always copies pages

    Really? So the description in the following article (see "Figure 4") is wrong?,1

    (To be clear, I want to replace the step where the kernel buffers get
    populated from disk with a step where I populate them programatically.
    That is what I mean by "sendfile() for anonymous pages".)

    According to that article, among others, if your network device
    supports scatter/gather and the pages are already resident, then
    sendfile() is a true zero-copy operation. That is, it takes page
    cache pages and arranges to DMA them to the network card without
    creating any additional copies in system RAM.

    My questions make a lot more sense if that is how it works, anyway :-).

    - Pat

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-02-18 03:49    [W:0.018 / U:9.544 seconds]