    SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
    Date
    On Mittwoch 17 Februar 2010, Nick Bowler wrote:
    > On 19:27 Wed 17 Feb , Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

    > > > Such people can easily construct an initramfs containing busybox and
    > > > mdadm with a shell script hardcoded to mount their root fs and run
    > > > switch_root. It's a ~10 minute jobbie that only needs to be done once.
    > >
    > > and even better when you don't have to do that one time job at all.
    >
    > But people who are building their own kernels are already doing a
    > (much harder, imo) one time job of configuring their kernels.
    >
    > > btw, what about additional delay?
    >
    > It takes about half a second for mdadm to assemble my root array, is
    > that what you're referring to?
    >
    > I assume that kernel auto-assembly is no faster, although I've never
    > used it. Regardless, half a second isn't very long to wait.

    well at the moment it takes less than two seconds until init takes over.

    Adding .5 seconds is a lot. And loading the initrd and changing root isn't
    free either, true?

    I remember well all the noise in the past about making linux booting faster.
    So why slow it down with an initrd - especially if you can do without?

    Glück Auf,
    Volker