SubjectRe: [patch -mm 8/9 v2] oom: avoid oom killer for lowmem allocations
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > > Thanks. Yes endlessly looping is far preferable to randomly oopsing
> > > or corrupting memory.
> > >

> > Here's the new patch for your consideration.
> >

> Then, can we take kdump in this endlessly looping situaton ?
>
> panic_on_oom=always + kdump can do that.

The endless loop is only helpful if something is going to free memory
external to the current page allocation: either another task with
__GFP_WAIT | __GFP_FS that invokes the oom killer, a task that frees
memory, or a task that exits.

The most notable endless loop in the page allocator is the one when a task
has been oom killed, gets access to memory reserves, and then cannot find
a page for a __GFP_NOFAIL allocation:

do {
page = get_page_from_freelist(gfp_mask, nodemask, order,
zonelist, high_zoneidx, ALLOC_NO_WATERMARKS,
preferred_zone, migratetype);

if (!page && gfp_mask & __GFP_NOFAIL)
congestion_wait(BLK_RW_ASYNC, HZ/50);
} while (!page && (gfp_mask & __GFP_NOFAIL));

We don't expect any such allocations to happen during the exit path, but
we could probably find some in the fs layer.

I don't want to check sysctl_panic_on_oom in the page allocator because it
would start panicking the machine unnecessarily for the integrity
metadata GFP_NOIO | __GFP_NOFAIL allocation, for any
order > PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER, or for users who can't lock the zonelist
for oom kill that wouldn't have panicked before.

  Last update: 2010-02-17 01:05    [W:0.082 / U:0.036 seconds]