    SubjectRe: Linux mdadm superblock question.
    On 16/02/2010 03:18, david@lang.hm wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    >> On 02/15/2010 04:27 PM, Neil Brown wrote:
    >>
    >> There are three options:
    >>
    >> a) either don't boot from it (separate /boot);
    >> b) use a bootloader which installs in the MBR and
    >> hopefully-unpartitioned disk areas (e.g. Grub);
    >> c) use a nonstandard custom MBR.
    >>
    >> Neither (b) or (c), of course, allow for chainloading from another OS
    >> install and thus are bad for interoperability.
    >
    > I have had no problems with XFS partitions and lilo as the bootloader.
    > I've been doing this for a couple of years now without realizing that
    > there is supposed to be a problem.

    There isn't, if you use partitions. It could (would) go wrong if you
    tried to put an XFS filesystem, or md RAID with a v1.1 superblock, on a
    whole disc without a partition table *and* you tried to put a bootloader
    on. I can't say it's ever occurred to me to do that, because I always
    assumed that whatever I put in a partition used all of it, and I
    couldn't expect to double-book the beginning of it and have it work.

    Cheers,

    John.

      Last update: 2010-02-16 05:45    [W:0.020 / U:64.248 seconds]