SubjectRe: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:02:52 -0800, J.H. wrote:
> On 02/12/2010 07:21 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Jean Delvare wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe that's just me, but my main concern is neither download times nor
> >> decompression times. My main concern is the access time to directory
> >> indexes when browsing the kernel archive, because there are 5 entries
> >> for every patch or tarball: .bz2, .bz2.sign, .gz, .gz.sign and .sign.
> >> This is horribly slow.
> >
> > This was actually the main reason for me personally to ask about just
> > dropping support for .gz files - not because I care deeply about how much
> > disk space kernel.org wastes, but because the long directory listings make
> > it slower for me to mentally index the directory.
>
> It's probably worth keeping things like the .gz files around, if nothing
> else for older distros, systems, etc that don't have xz yet (since it's
> still relatively new)

Hardly a good reason IMHO. xz can be installed on these systems. When
we switched to git, nobody had it and it did not stop us.

> Breaking things out into directories or such might be the easiest way
> with that
>
> v2.6/
> v2.6/2.6.23

Yes.

> v2.6/2.6.32.6

I'd rather group all 2.6.32.* files together, so that the main index is
as small as possible. We're adding one indirection step, so it should
be fast.

> etc
>
> Would clean up the v2.6 directory a lot.

> >> (...)
> >> 4* Get rid of the LATEST-IS-* files. This is a small count, won't save
> >> much, but these files seem totally useless to me these days.
> >
> > Yeah, they also end up continually being stale.
>
> Only thoughts there are that there seem to be a lot of automated
> processes that rely on LATEST-IS-*.

Care to give details? Given how often the old files get stuck, I am
surprised any process can really rely on them. And I also can't really
think of any automated process that would care.

> Personally I'd rather see them snag
> the RSS feed and figure out what they want from there, but that may not
> be completely feasible.

There's RSS, there's a mailing list and there's a web page. Certainly
one of these 3 methods would work.

> It also gives a quick indication as to what's
> latest in the directory

Sorting by time works just as well.

> and a quick search on the page usually gets me
> what I'm looking for when I do it.

What's your workflow? I normally go to the download directory after
either reading the kernel.org main page or some post on the announce
mailing list. So I already know which version I am looking for. Having
to search for "LATEST-IS" and then again for the version doesn't look
terribly efficient.

If we really want a helper to locate the latest version, I'd rather
have a "latest" symbolic link pointing to the most recent v2.6.x
subdirectory. Or maybe two, "latest-stable" and "latest-devel". Can be
discussed...

--
Jean Delvare

  Last update: 2010-02-12 20:27    [W:0.133 / U:0.740 seconds]