SubjectRe: tracking memory usage/leak in "inactive" field in /proc/meminfo?
Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com> wrote:
>> I have a modified version of that which I picked up as part of the
>> kmemleak backport.  However, it doesn't help unless I can narrow down
>> *which* pages I should care about.
>
> kmemleak doesn't support page allocator and ioremap.
> Above URL patch just can tell who requests page which is using(ie, not
> free) now.

The ioremap can be easily tracked by kmemleak (it is on my to-do list
but haven't managed to do it yet). That's not far from vmalloc.

The page allocator is a bit more difficult since it's used by the slab
allocator as well and it may lead to some recursive calls into
kmemleak. I'll have a think.

Anyway, you can leak memory without this being detected by kmemleak -
just add the allocated objects to a list and never remove them.

--
Catalin