SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.6.37-rc3 massive interactivity regression on ARM
Russell King - ARM Linux writes:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 01:17:02PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > (Re-followup since I just realised my previous followups were to Rafael's
> > > regressions mailbot rather than the original thread.)

> > > git bisect identified
> > >
> > > [305e6835e05513406fa12820e40e4a8ecb63743c] sched: Do not account irq time to current task
> > >
> > > as the cause of this regression. Reverting it from 2.6.37-rc4 (requires some
> > > hackery due to subsequent changes in the same area) restores sane behaviour.
> > >
> > > The original patch submission talks about irq-heavy scenarios. My case is the
> > > exact opposite: UP, !PREEMPT, NO_HZ, very low irq rate, essentially 100% CPU
> > > bound in userspace but expected to schedule quickly when needed (e.g. running
> > > top or ps or just hitting CR in one shell while another runs a compile job).
> > >
> > > I've reproduced the misbehaviour with 2.6.37-rc4 on ARM/mach-iop32x and
> > > ARM/mach-ixp4xx, but ARM/mach-kirkwood does not misbehave, and other archs
> > > (x86 SMP, SPARC64 UP and SMP, PowerPC32 UP, Alpha UP) also do not misbehave.
> > >
> > > So it looks like an ARM-only issue, possibly depending on platform specifics.
> > >
> > > One difference I noticed between my Kirkwood machine and my ixp4xx and iop32x
> > > machines is that even though all have CONFIG_NO_HZ=y, the timer irq rate is
> > > much higher on Kirkwood, even when the machine is idle.
> >
> > The above patch you point out is fundamentally broken.
> >
> > + rq->clock = sched_clock_cpu(cpu);
> > + irq_time = irq_time_cpu(cpu);
> > + if (rq->clock - irq_time > rq->clock_task)
> > + rq->clock_task = rq->clock - irq_time;
> >
> > This means that we will only update rq->clock_task if it is smaller than
> > rq->clock. So, eventually over time, rq->clock_task becomes the maximum
> > value that rq->clock can ever be. Or in other words, the maximum value
> > of sched_clock_cpu().
> >
> > Once that has been reached, although rq->clock will wrap back to zero,
> > rq->clock_task will not, and so (I think) task execution time accounting
> > effectively stops dead.
> >
> > I guess this hasn't been noticed on x86 as they have a 64-bit sched_clock,
> > and so need to wait a long time for this to be noticed. However, on ARM
> > where we tend to have 32-bit counters feeding sched_clock(), this value
> > will wrap far sooner.
>
> I'm not so sure about this - certainly that if() statement looks very
> suspicious above. As irq_time_cpu() will always be zero, can you try
> removing the conditional?
>
> In any case, sched_clock_cpu() should be resilient against sched_clock()
> wrapping. However, your comments about it being iop32x and ixp4xx
> (both of which are 32-bit-counter-to-ns based implementations) and
> kirkwood being a 32-bit-extended-to-63-bit-counter-to-ns implementation
> does make me wonder...

I ran two tests on my iop32x machine:

1. Made the above-mentioned assignment to rq->clock_task unconditional.
That cured the interactivity regressions.

2. Restored the conditional assignment to rq->clock_task and disabled the
platform-specific sched_clock() so the kernel used the generic one.
That too cured the interactivity regressions.

I then repeated these tests on my ixp4xx machine, with the same results.

I'll try to come up with a fix for the ixp4xx and plat-iop 32-bit sched_clock()s.

  Last update: 2010-12-05 17:09    [W:0.076 / U:0.348 seconds]