SubjectRe: is there a fix for ubuntu with intel GPU booting to blank screen?
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

... snip related to i915 blank screen issues ...

> Since you know how to compile kernel, and even have a close working
> version, you really should just bisect the bug.
> Bisection is a built-in in the git binary search that allows you to
> find the first commit that introduced the bug.
> For example, quick google gives,

oh, i know how to do bisection but, to be frank, i just don't have
the time. i'm under a brutal deadline for some billable work and,
even if i had the time, i suspect that when i eventually tracked down
the commit, i probably wouldn't really appreciate what i was looking
at, anyway.

i've done some searching on the issue and, among other pages, i've
come up with this one:

so i downloaded the kernel mentioned there and tested that, but no
luck. mostly, i understand that there top men -- *top* *men* --
working on this :-) who know far more about the graphics subsystem
than i do so i'm just going to stay out of their way, but i'm willing
to test any proposed solutions if they come up. my biggest worry is
that, given that we're already at -rc8, will this issue be fixed
before the next official release?