    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] mfd: twl6030-irq: move to threaded_irq
    On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 09:40:03AM -0800, David Brownell wrote:

    > > What I'd expect to see from a conversion like this would be
    > > that most of
    > > the locking/IRQ management stuff would be dropped

    > I'd expect that genirq solve all the issues and
    > that its support be used. That's not the same
    > as dropping anything except the initial code to
    > handle what genirq didn't ... some locking/etc
    > would still mostly need doing, but where genirq
    > now handles it, that'd be preferable.

    It should solve everything - there's rather a lot of I2C/SPI connected
    MFDs using genirq fully now without any hassle, the APIs are really
    straightforward and easy to use.

    > and the
    > > bus_lock() and
    > > bus_sync_unlock() operations would be implemented.

    > ISTR maybe four or five genirq updates in the
    > area of threaded IRQ management, added so that
    > issues the twl4030 driver needed to be solved
    > could be solved in generic ways.

    Yup - the main one on top of threaded IRQs was the bus_lock() and
    bus_sync_unlock() methods.

    > The first was just having threaded IRQ handlers,
    > and another was I think removing the initial
    > quick'n'dirty thread-per-irq restriction; there
    > was no point in having a few dozen IRQ threads
    > in e.g. a twl4030 driver, since two could never
    > do constructive work concurrently.

    The thread per IRQ thing is dealt with too, the secondary IRQs share the
    thread used for demux.

      Last update: 2010-12-28 18:47    [W:0.029 / U:240.240 seconds]