    SubjectRe: hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption? (was: Re: dm-crypt barrier support is effective)
    On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Ted Ts'o <> wrote:
    > Yes, indeed. Is this in the virtualized environment or on real
    > hardware at this point? And how many CPU's do you have configured in
    > your virtualized environment, and how memory memory? Is having a
    > certain number of CPU's critical for reproducing the problem? Is
    > constricting the amount of memory important?

    Originally, I observed the behavior on really real hardware.

    Since then, I have been able to reproduce it in VirtualBox and
    qemu-kvm, with openSUSE 11.3 and KUbuntu. All of the more recent tests
    have been with qemu-kvm.

    I have one CPU configured in the environment, 512MB of memory.
    I have not done any memory-constriction tests whatsoever.

    On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Ted Ts'o <> wrote:
    > One experiment --- can you try this with the file system mounted with
    > data=writeback, and see if the problem reproduces in that journalling
    > mode?

    That test is running now, first with encryption. I will report if it
    shows problems. If it does, I will wait until I have been able to see
    that a few times, and move to a no-encryption test. Typically, I have
    to run quite a few more iterations of that test before problems show
    up (if they will at all).

    > I want to rule out (if possible) journal_submit_inode_data_buffers()
    > racing with mpage_da_submit_io().  I don't think that's the issue, but
    > I'd prefer to do the experiment to make sure.  So if you can use a
    > kernel and system configuration which triggers the problem, and then
    > try changing the mount options to include data=writeback, and then
    > rerun the test, and let me know if the problem still reproduces, I'd
    > be really grateful.

      Last update: 2010-12-12 04:19    [W:0.020 / U:26.576 seconds]