SubjectRe: blk-throttle: Correct the placement of smp_rmb()
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 05:46:45PM +0100, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 12/09, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:26:59AM +0100, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> > >
> > > update_object(obj)
> > > {
> > > modify_obj(obj);
> > >
> > > wmb();
> > >
> > > obj->was_changed = true;
> > > }
> > >
> > > It can be called many times. Sooner or later, we will call
> > >
> > > process_object(obj)
> > > {
> > > if (!obj->was_changed)
> > > return;
> >
> > Ah, and if you have a huge number of CPUs executing update_object()
> > at just this point, we have the scenario you showed my in your initial
> > email.
>
> Yes.
>
> > update_object(obj)
> > {
> > modify_obj(obj);
> >
> > wmb();
> >
> > atomic_set(&obj->was_changed, true);
> > }
> >
> > process_object(obj)
> > {
> > if (!atomic_read(&obj->was_changed))
> > return;
> >
> > if (!atomic_xchg(&obj->was_changed, false))
> > return;
> >
> > /* mb(); implied by atomic_xchg(), so no longer needed. */
> >
> > do_process_object(obj);
> > }
>
> This is what we were going to do initially. Except, I think the
> plain bool/xchg can be used instead of atomic_t/atomic_xchg ?
>
> But then we decided to discuss the alternatives. Partly because
> this looked like the interesting question, but mostly to keep
> you busy ;)

As long as it uses the relevant atomic instructions on all architectures,
should be fine. Sigh. Might need ACCESS_ONCE() on the reads and writes.

> > One caution: The wmb() in update_object() means that modify_object()
> > might read some variable and get a -newer- value for that variable than
> > would a subsequent read from that same variable in do_process_object().
> > If this would cause a problem, the wmb() should instead be an mb().
>
> Yes. And in this case I even _seem_ to understand why we need
> s/wmb/mb/ change.
>
> But the original code (I mean, the code we are trying to fix/change)
> doesn't have the load-load dependency, so I think wmb() is enough.

If you don't need transitivity, wmb() will be OK.

> > The reason that I say that this should not take much additional
> > overhead is that all of the writes were taking cache-miss latencies,
> > and you had lots of memory barriers that make it difficult for the
> > CPUs' store buffers to hide that latency. The only added overhead
> > is from the atomic instruction, but given that you already had a
> > cache miss from the original write and a memory barrier, I would not
> > expect it to be noticeable.
> >
> > But enough time on my soapbox... Would this do what you need it to?
> > If so, hopefully it really does what I think it does. ;-)
>
> OK, thanks Paul.
>
> So I guess it would be safer to return to initial plan and use xchg().

I believe so, but it will take the hardware guys a few more days to
chase their stuff down.

> > (See http://paulmck.livejournal.com/20312.html for explanation.)
>
> Oh. Very interesting. Transitive memory barriers.
>
> You know, I always wanted to understand this aspect. May be you can
> look at
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=118944341320665
>
> starting from "To simplify the example above". This pseudo-code tries
> to resemble the real-life code we discussed, that is why it uses the
> pointers (dereference lack read_barrier_depends(), please ignore).

Yes, your example at the above URL looks to me to depend on transitivity,
which wmb() and rmb() will not provide. To be safe, both should be mb().

> And no, I can't understand why foo_1() needs the full barrier :/
> Or may be I can? Suppose that CPU 0 and CPU 1 share the store-buffer
> (no, no, I do not pretend I _really_ understand what this actually
> means;). In this case, perhaps we can forget abou CPU 0 and rewrite
> this code as
>
> void foo_1(void)
> {
> X = 1; /* it was actually written by CPU 0 */
>
> r1 = x;
> smp_rmb(); /* The only change. */
> r2 = y;
> }
>
> void foo_2(void)
> {
> y = 1;
> smp_mb();
> r3 = x;
> }
>
> In this case smp_rmb() obviously can't help. Does it make any sense?

Yes, there are a number of architectures where that transformation is
exactly the right analysis tool -- If a CPU loads something just before
a memory barrier, it is as if that same CPU did the store.

Very good!!! ;-)

> But, when I look at the link I sent you again, I feel I am totatlly
> confused. Nothing new, I always knew that memory barriers were specially
> designed to drive me crazy.

Only if you are too sane for code without barriers to drive you crazy. ;-)

But yes, this is why it is best to bury barriers behind other APIs. They
are very subtle and difficult to get right. The bit about them being
the union of all architectures can be especially painful!

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2010-12-11 00:37    [W:0.040 / U:1.176 seconds]