SubjectRe: [BUG(?)] perf_events: combining multiple tracepoint events into a group produces no counts on member events
On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 17:00 -0800, Corey Ashford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure that what I'm seeing is a bug, or was something intentional.
>
> If I place multiple tracepoint events into a group and measure counts of
> these events on a process, I get no counts for the tracepoint events
> other than the group leader.
>
> Is this expected behavior?
>
> It's not clear to me why this should be the case; grouping shouldn't
> have any ill effects on tracepoint events, from my understanding.
>
> I noticed this because my private version of the perf tool has the event
> group patch https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/24/584 as well as the patch
> which fixes the parsing of multiple tracepoint events in the same -e
> switch: https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/30/460
>
> When I dig into the code a bit, I find that each event opens
> successfully, so that's not the problem. If I disable the grouping,
> then I get counts for all of the tracepoint events.

Hrm,.. definitely not expected. I'll try and look into it, but I'm a bit
over-committed atm.

Also, I've started a rewrite of the whole tracepoint <-> perf
interaction:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/23/147

Could you see if that cures your problem?

Another thing to test, does the same hold true for regular software
events? tracepoints and software events share a lot of infrastructure.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans