    SubjectRe: [patch 1/6] fs: icache RCU free inodes
    On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@kernel.dk> wrote:
    > So here is the inode RCU code. It's obviously not worth doing until the
    > actual rcu-walk path walking is in, but I'd like to get opinions on it.
    > It would be nice to merge it in Al's tree at some point, though.

    Remind me why it wasn't sufficient to just use SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU?

    Especially if we still lock things for the actual (few) inode list
    operations, the added complexity of actually freeing _individual_
    inodes by RCU seems to be a bad thing.

    The only thing we care about is the pathname walk - there are no other
    inode operations that are common enough to worry about. And the only
    thing _that_ needs is the ability to look at the inode under RCU, and
    SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU should be entirely sufficient for that.

    But we had some discussion about this long ago, and I may have
    forgotten some of the context.

    Linus

      Last update: 2010-11-09 17:07    [W:2.789 / U:0.040 seconds]