SubjectRe: Forked android kernel development from linux kernel mainline
From
Hi,

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 04:44:48PM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> Just a small comment to say that Android is not the only one (but
>> certainly the most visible, and thus easiest to bash on) not making
>> effort to get their stuff in mainline. OpenWRT people are also
>> maintaining their fork of the kernel, without even using git, and not
>> contributing much to mainline (I'm certainly mistaken on that last
>> comment).
>
> Isn't the openwrt stuff just drivers and some arch specific code?
> Nothing that is core infrastructure, and nothing preventing them from
> submitting the drivers and arch code if they want to, right?

From what I can see, yes.

> If so, why don't you submit it?

because I have no knowledge on the code, nor have any documentation on
the underlying hardware. That said, it's in my TODO, but stuff keeps
getting in before this entry.

>Why don't they?

I just checked with some dev on IRC, there might be a time issue. The
patches have been synced with 2.6.36 recently (a month ago). So
there're still hope :)

- Arnaud

  Last update: 2010-11-08 00:11    [W:1.651 / U:0.904 seconds]