    SubjectRe: 2.6.36 io bring the system to its knees
    On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 12:48:17AM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Jesper Juhl wrote:

    > > > Hmmm, the workload you're describing here has two special parts. First
    > > > it dramatically overloads the disk, and then it has guis doing things
    > > > waiting for the disk.
    > > >

    > > Just want to chime in with a 'me too'.
    > >
    > > I see something similar on Arch Linux when doing 'pacman -Syyuv' and there
    > > are many (as in more than 5-10) updates to apply. While the update is
    > > running (even if that's all the system is doing) system responsiveness is
    > > terrible - just starting 'chromium' which is usually instant (at least
    > > less than 2 sec at worst) can take upwards of 10 seconds and the mouse
    > > cursor in X starts to jump a bit as well and switching virtual desktops
    > > noticably lags when redrawing the new desktop if there's a full screen app
    > > like gimp or OpenOffice open there. This is on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    > > which has a 'Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz' CPU, 2GB of
    > > memory and 499996 kilobytes of swap.
    > >
    > Forgot to mention the kernel I currently experience this with :
    >
    > [jj@dragon ~]$ uname -a
    > Linux dragon 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 30 21:22:26 CEST 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

    I think anyone reporting a interactivity problem also needs to
    indicate what their filesystem is, what mount paramters they are
    using, what their storage config is, whether barriers are active or
    not, what elevator they are using, whether one or more of the
    applications are issuing fsync() or sync() calls, and so on.

    Basically, what we need to know is whether these problems are
    isolated to a particular filesystem or storage type because
    they may simply be known problems (e.g. the ext3 fsync-the-world
    problem).

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --
    Dave Chinner
    david@fromorbit.com

      Last update: 2010-11-05 02:47    [W:2.200 / U:0.340 seconds]