    SubjectRe: 2.6.36 io bring the system to its knees
    On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Jesper Juhl wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Chris Mason wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 03:30:36PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Many seconds freezes" and slowdowns wont be fixed via the VFS scalability patches
    > > > i'm afraid.
    > > >
    > > > This has the appearance of some really bad IO or VM latency problem. Unfixed and
    > > > present in stable kernel versions going from years ago all the way to v2.6.36.
    > >
    > > Hmmm, the workload you're describing here has two special parts. First
    > > it dramatically overloads the disk, and then it has guis doing things
    > > waiting for the disk.
    > >

    > Just want to chime in with a 'me too'.
    >
    > I see something similar on Arch Linux when doing 'pacman -Syyuv' and there
    > are many (as in more than 5-10) updates to apply. While the update is
    > running (even if that's all the system is doing) system responsiveness is
    > terrible - just starting 'chromium' which is usually instant (at least
    > less than 2 sec at worst) can take upwards of 10 seconds and the mouse
    > cursor in X starts to jump a bit as well and switching virtual desktops
    > noticably lags when redrawing the new desktop if there's a full screen app
    > like gimp or OpenOffice open there. This is on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    > which has a 'Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz' CPU, 2GB of
    > memory and 499996 kilobytes of swap.

    Forgot to mention the kernel I currently experience this with :

    [jj@dragon ~]$ uname -a
    Linux dragon 2.6.35-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 30 21:22:26 CEST 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jj@chaosbits.net> http://www.chaosbits.net/

      Last update: 2010-11-05 01:01    [W:4.073 / U:0.088 seconds]