    SubjectRe: REGRESSION: Re: [GIT] kconfig rc fixes
    Em 04-11-2010 14:32, Arnaud Lacombe escreveu:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
    > <mchehab@redhat.com> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Yes, but this makes things worse: it will allow compiling drivers that Kernel
    >> will never use, as they won't work without an I2C adapter, and the I2C adapter
    >> is not compiled.
    >>
    >> Worse than that: if you go into all V4L bridge drivers, that implements the I2C
    >> adapters and disable them, the I2C ancillary adapters will still be compiled
    >> (as they won't return to 'n'), but they will never ever be used...
    >>
    >> So, no, this is not a solution.
    >>
    >> What we need is to prompt the menu only if the user wants to do some manual configuration.
    >> Otherwise, just use the selects done by the drivers that implement the I2C bus adapters,
    >> and have some code to use those selected I2C devices.
    >>
    > These is an easy solution: doing as
    > `Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt' say it should be done:
    >
    > config MODULES
    > bool "modules ?"
    > default y
    >
    > config AUTO
    > bool "AUTO"
    >
    > config IVTV
    > tristate "IVTV"
    > select WM42 if AUTO
    >
    > menu "TV"
    > depends on !AUTO
    >
    > config WM42_USER
    > tristate "WM42"
    > select WM42
    >
    > endmenu
    >
    > config WM42
    > tristate
    > default n
    >
    > - Arnaud

    This may work, but it means that every single I2C/frontend/tuner will require two
    entries for each driver. This means to create and manage around 100+ new symbols.
    The drivers/media Kconfig files are complex enough as-is, without adding those 100+
    new artificial symbols. We should work to make things simple and improve users experience,
    and not to create artificial complexity that will make Kconfig almost unreadable.

    I still think that the easiest way to solve this is to add some logic that will
    hide the menu if a condition doesn't happen. Something like:
    menu FOO
    prompt if BAR

    or
    menu FOO
    show if BAR

    Mauro.

      Last update: 2010-11-04 19:55    [W:4.258 / U:0.148 seconds]