SubjectRe: Nobody cared about IRQs at shutdown
26.11.2010 01:25, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>>> According to your listing, they are used by uhci-hcd. Do the messages
>>> go away if you unload uhci-hcd before shutting down?
>> It is not a module here, so I have to recompile the kernel in order to
>> try this. Will do that tomorrow.
>>
>>> You may need to debug the uhci-hcd driver. Look into
>>> drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.c; the uhci_shutdown() routine ought to be
>>> called and it ought to call uhci_hc_died(), which in turn calls
>>> uhci_reset_hc() in pci-quirks.c, which is supposed to prevent the
>>> controller from generating any IRQs.
>> OK, tomorrow I will add some printks there.

Sorry, I didn't add them due to being busy with a different (non-kernel)
bug. What do you want to know - just the fact that these functions are
called before or after reporting the bad IRQ?

>>> Do you have any USB devices attached to bus 3 or bus 6?
>> Yes:
>>
>> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 05d8:4002 Ultima Electronics Corp. Artec Ultima
>> 2000 (GT6801 based)/Lifetec LT9385/ScanMagic 1200 UB Plus Scanner
>>
>> Should I unplug it and retest the bug now?
> Sure.

Tried, it didn't change anything.

> Even without rebuilding the kernel, you can unbind the uhci-hcd driver
> from the hardware by going to the /sys/bus/pci/drivers/uhci_hcd
> directory and doing:
>
> echo -n device-name>unbind
>
> where "device-name" is the name of one of the symlinks in that
> directory.

Thanks for the tip. Below are the updated test results, including the
ones posted in my first mail, for completeness.

1. No irqpoll, no unbind: the system reports that nobody cared for IRQs,
then waits, displays SATA errors, waits again, shuts down.

2. irqpoll, no unbind: the system shuts down without any delays.

3. No irqpoll, unbind uhci-hcd from everything it controls: the system
reports bad IRQ 19 (consumed by firewire-ohci), waits, displays SATA
errors, waits again, shuts down.

4. No irqpoll, unbind both uhci-hcd and firewire-ohci from everything:
the system does not report any bad IRQs, waits, displays SATA errors,
waits again, shuts down.

5. irqpoll, unbind both uhci-hcd and firewire-ohci from everything: same
as (4).

I have no firewire devices.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

  Last update: 2010-11-27 08:15    [W:0.056 / U:0.064 seconds]