SubjectRe: RFC: Mega rename of device tree routines from of_*() to dt_*()
On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 18:42 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 5:15 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 09:17 -0700, Grant Likely wrote:

> >> I assume you'll be also publishing the script that you use for
> >> generating the massive patch. I expect that there will be a few
> >> iterations of running the rename script to convert over all the
> >> stragglers.
> >
> > Yep sure, I'll just make it less crap first.
> >
> >> It should also be negotiated with Linus about when this
> >> patch should get applied. I do NOT want to cause massive merge pain
> >> during the merge window.
> >
> > Obviously.
> >
> >> Andrew/Linus: Before Michael proceeds too far with this rename, are
> >> you okay with a mass rename of the device tree functions from of_* to
> >> dt_*? Nobody likes the ambiguous 'of_' prefix ("of? of what?"), but
> >> to fix it means large cross-tree patches and potential merge
> >> conflicts.
> >
> > It'd also be good to hear from DaveM, sparc is the platform with the
> > strongest link to real OF AFAIK, so the of_() names make more sense
> > there.
>

> One Laptop Per Child ships real Open Firmware on its x86 Linux systems,
> of which approximately 2 million have been shipped or ordered. An ARM
> version, also with OFW, is in the works.

OK. I don't see any code under arch/x86 or arch/arm that uses of_()
routines though? Or is it under drivers or something?

> That said, I don't particularly like the abbreviation "of" either; I
> abbreviate Open Firmware as "OFW".
>
> I don't mind using "dt_" to apply to device tree things; I think it's
> clearer than "of_". Ideally, it would be nice to acknowledge the
> historical connection in some way, but confusing nomenclature probably
> is not the way to go about it.

Cool. I think there will still be a few things that have OF in the name,
at least for a while, and I'm sure the doco will still mention OF, so I
don't think the connection will be lost.

cheers

  Last update: 2010-11-26 10:33    [W:0.058 / U:0.092 seconds]