SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH v6 03/12] media: Entities, pads and links
Date
Hi Mark,

On Thursday 25 November 2010 16:49:52 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 04:40:41PM +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this supposed to reflect the current state (if the link is carrying
> > > data right now) or if it's possible for the link to carry data?
> >
> > It's supposed to reflect whether the link can carry data. Think of the
> > active flag as a valve on a pipe. If the valve is open, the link is
> > active. If the valve is closed, the link is inactive. This is unrelated
> > to whether water actually flows through the pipe.
>
> This seems a confusing name, then - I'd expect an active link to be one
> which is actually carrying data rather than one which is available to
> carry data. How a more neutrally worded name such as "connected" (which
> is what ASoC uses currently)?

In our current vocabulary "connected" refers to entities between which a link
exist, regardless of the link state ("valve opened" or "valve closed"). I'm
not totally happy with "active" either, but if we replace it with "connected"
we need another word to replace current uses of "connected".

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart

  Last update: 2010-11-26 15:15    [W:1.151 / U:0.016 seconds]