SubjectRe: Free memory never fully used, swapping
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:43:29PM -0800, Simon Kirby wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:04:03AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 03:44:19PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > As this is a NUMA machine, what is the value of
> > /proc/sys/vm/zone_reclaim_mode ? When enabled, this reclaims memory
> > local to the node in preference to using remote nodes. For certain
> > workloads this performs better but for users that expect all of memory
> > to be used, it has surprising results.
> >
> > If set to 1, try testing with it set to 0 and see if it makes a
> > difference. Thanks
>
> Hi Mel,
>
> It is set to 0. It's an Intel EM64T...I only enabled CONFIG_NUMA since
> it seemed to enable some more complicated handling, and I figured it
> might help, but it didn't seem to. It's also required for
> CONFIG_COMPACTION, but that is still marked experimental.

I'm surprised a little that you are bringing compaction up because unless
there are high-order involved, it wouldn't make a difference. Is there
a constant source of high-order allocations in the system e.g. a network
card configured to use jumbo frames? A possible consequence of that is that
reclaim is kicking in early to free order-[2-4] pages that would prevent 100%
of memory being used.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center

  Last update: 2010-11-24 10:31    [W:0.059 / U:1.156 seconds]