    SubjectRe: Challenges with doing hardware bring up with Linux first
    On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:50:30PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    > > By forcing the driver to be GPL, you automatically exclude Windows
    > > from the list of platforms supported by such a cross-OS driver, as the
    > > Windows NDIS headers are AFAIK under a GPL-incompatible license, so no
    > > GPL driver can be written for Windows.
    >
    > I've actually have been told GPL drivers for windows are possible with
    > some hard work. I have yet to investigate further on what that "hard
    > work" means. But yes, that is a good example.

    The "hard work" means you can not use the Windows DDK at all. People
    have worked to reimplement the header files needed for this into mingw,
    but it really restricts you and forces you to write "native" drivers for
    Windows, not being able to take advantage of their driver model code at
    all.

    Oracle did a bunch of work for this in the past to port some of their
    Linux kernel work to Windows, ask Andy Grover if you have questions
    about it.

    hope this helps,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2010-11-22 02:15    [W:0.023 / U:153.432 seconds]