    SubjectRe: [RFD] Device Renaming Mechanism
    On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 14:23 +0900, Nao Nishijima wrote:

    > I'm trying to solve a device name(or device node) mismatch problem caused by
    > device configuration changes. Now I have an idea of device renaming to solve it,
    > and would like to request for comments from kernel developers.

    I apologize that I missed this mail until I was doing some podcasts ;)

    Although not necessarily useful for within-device volumes, I would
    nonetheless like to call attention to the DMTF SMBIOS specification, and
    in particular structure Type 9, which allows system vendors to provide
    various information about the correct mappings of physical system slots
    to devices. Matt Domsch produced a utility a while back called
    biosdevname that can be used to implement one possible device renaming
    mechanism for network interfaces, based on the system slot identifier,
    but of course there is no reason not to support the other devices.

    I have read the other mails, but I would love to know what Greg and Kay
    think about supporting automatic renaming in the case where the system
    *actually told you the preferred name* in such a table. Perhaps we can
    discuss this in Cambridge this week.

    Jon.

      Last update: 2010-11-02 08:01    [W:0.039 / U:147.644 seconds]