    SubjectFwd: Unknown error 513 in pthread_create after several hours of running a Gstreamer based application
    From
    Hi All,

      I am using Gstreamer for creating one of my video streaming
    application. My application creates multimedia session and then stream
    around 200 video sessions (a very processor intensive job).In doing
    so, the no. of threads created is around 1500 and I have given around
    1536 KB as my stack size for each of these threads. I have one
    Quadcore(intel Xeon) system of around 8 GB of RAM(64 bit) with RHEL
    5.5(kernel - 2.6.18-92.el5).

      After few hours of testing I see that my overall memory(RAM) is
    eating up. I did checked the memory and I saw that my cache size is
    growing. So far so good, as I can understand that system does cache
    instead of leaving some RAM free.

       My problem comes, when I see that after almost 20-25 hours of
    testing, RAM is continuously being eaten up and maximum part of that
    is going into cache. If I leave the system for few more hours I see
    whole of my memory is consumed up and now my swap started getting
    used. If I check the cache now, I clearly see most of RAM is now in
    form of cache. I still didn’t stop my application and allowed it run
    for few more hours and after sometime I see that process give
    segmentation fault while creating the pthread (create_pthread::unknown
    error 513).I also tried to observe the “core” file of application
    created in this way , but it doesn’t’ show anything.

      One thing I must mention that, in “top” I see almost constant values
    of resident memory, virtual memory and shared memory. There is no
    increase of memory usage here. So here I can assume that my
    application is not leaking the memory. I also observed that if I kill
    my application any time during this, the memory doesn’t go into free
    pool.

       Anyone, here can give any pointer for this kind of behavior. Is it
    can be because of some kernel BUG which is not freeing the memory to
    application usage.

    No need to mentioned that any help or clue will be highly appreciated
    and regarded :)

    Some other details:

    Linux testing 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:16:15 EDT 2008 x86_64
    x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Gnu C                  4.1.2
    Gnu make               3.81
    binutils               2.17.50.0.6-6.el5
    util-linux             2.13-pre7
    mount                  2.13-pre7
    module-init-tools      3.3-pre2
    e2fsprogs              1.39
    quota-tools            3.13.
    PPP                    2.4.4
    Linux C Library        > libc.2.5
    Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.5
    Procps                 3.2.7
    Net-tools              1.60
    Kbd                    1.12
    Sh-utils               5.97
    udev                   095
    Modules Loaded         autofs4 hidp rfcomm l2cap bluetooth sunrpc ipv6
    xfrm_nalgo crypto_api dm_mirror dm_multipath dm_mod video sbs
    backlight i2c_ec button battery asus_acpi acpi_memhotplug ac lp
    i2c_i801 ide_cd i2c_core shpchp e1000 tg3 cdrom parport_pc parport
    i5000_edac serio_raw edac_mc sg pcspkr ata_piix libata aacraid sd_mod
    scsi_mod ext3 jbd uhci_hcd ohci_hcd ehci_hcd

    Best Regards,
    Parveen Jain