SubjectRe: Regressions in resume on intel graphics
From
2010/11/19 Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@virtuousgeek.org>:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:17:07 +0100
> Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2010/11/12 Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I've noticed that after resume  with 2.6.36 kernel I need to switch
>> > between console and back to Xorg to get usable Xsession again.
>> > (my hw - T61, gma965, 4GB)
>> >
>> > I've played bisect game -  and this is the first broken kernel:
>> >
>> > ---
>> > commit 8fd4bd22350784d5b2fe9274f6790ba353976415
>> > Author: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@virtuousgeek.org>
>> > Date:   Wed Jun 23 12:56:12 2010 -0700
>> >
>> >    vt/console: try harder to print output when panicing
>> > ---
>>
>> I've been able to boot and test with 2.6.37-rc1-00170-gf6614b7
>> - and this problem seems to be fixed in this version (vt.c file seems
>> to be gone?).
>
> This is really weird; there was one issue Dave tracked down related to
> lockdep and the new oops code, but I think it's been fixed.  And it
> should manifest as something other than a GPU hang...

Well - unsure - how this worked ok - for 2.6.37-rc1-00170-gf6614b7 (I
could try few more times - though this kernel seems to be crashing for
various other reasons - so I've had quite few testruns before I've
been able to test this in some very limited X environment - so maybe
it was just some lucky case - but I still keep it on my disk)

Anyway - as an update - I'm now regularly using 2.6.37-rc2 - and it
has exactly same problems - as in my original report - so the problem
has not magically disappeared and it is still there. Is there
anything I should try ?

Basically every time after resume from suspend I have to switch from X
to console and back to get usable screen back. Without this I seen
only black screen with mouse over it - is there some way for reverting
of this patch - or maybe just disabling some part of it ?

To have reliable resume I still have to keep drm_kms_help thread
disable - otherwise I observe GPU errors.
Switch between consoles is 'relatively' easy to overcome.

And another thing which might help - during suspend/resume I could
usually see weird switch to console with some special text on the
whole console screen -

where '###' is some changing number - and it seems to be different
between resumes.
Also I should add I'm using 'no-console-suspend' kernel boot option.

Zdenek