SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
* Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org) wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin, le Thu 18 Nov 2010 16:35:59 -0800, a écrit :

> > > Well, then maybe you shouldn't claim this was relevant for anybody but
> > > yourself. Because it is irrelevant for most users if it is bound to the TTY.
> > >

> > For what it's worth, I suspect that the object that should be bound to
> > is probably not the tty, but rather the session ID of the process (which
> > generally is 1:1 with controlling TTY for console processes.)
>
> Agreed.
>
> That'll catch both the tty case (implemented by the proposed patch), and
> the rest.

This really does make a lot of sense. Tying on the Session ID rather than the
TTY would allow to deal with graphical applications by letting them specify
session IDs with setsid() when the application starts. It seems much more
generic than TTY, and maps to TTY already.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers