    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2010-discuss] checkpoint-restart: naked patch
    Quoting Tejun Heo (tj@kernel.org):
    > Hello, Oren.
    >
    > On 11/07/2010 10:59 PM, Oren Laadan wrote:
    > > We could work to add ABIs and APIs for each and every possible piece
    > > of state that affects userspace. And for each we'll argue forever
    > > about the design and some time later regret that it wasn't designed
    > > correctly :p
    >
    > I'm sorry but in-kernel CR already looks like a major misdesign to me.

    By this do you mean the very idea of having CR support in the kernel?
    Or our design of it in the kernel? Let's go back to July 2008, at the
    containers mini-summit, where it was unanimously agreed upon that the
    kernel was the right place (Checkpoint/Resetart [CR] under
    http://wiki.openvz.org/Containers/Mini-summit_2008_notes ), and that
    we would start by supporting a single task with no resources. Was that
    whole discussion effectively misguided, in your opinion? Or do you
    feel that since the first steps outlined in that discussion we've
    either "gone too far" or strayed in the subsequent design?

    -serge

      Last update: 2010-11-17 16:41    [W:2.176 / U:0.032 seconds]