SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
On Tue, 16.11.10 13:08, Linus Torvalds (torvalds@linux-foundation.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >> Well, if I make behaviour like this default in systemd, then this means
> >> there won't be user setup for this. Because the distros shipping systemd
> >> will get this as default behaviour.
> >
> > And within the desktop where would you put this - in the window manager
> > on the basis of top level windows or in the app startup ?
>
> Btw, I suspect either of these are reasonable. In fact, I don't think
> it would be at all wrong to have the desktop launcher have an option
> to "launch in a group" (although I think it would need to be named
> better than that). Right now, when you create desktop launchers under
> at least gnome, it allows you to specify a "type" for the application
> ("Application" or "Application in Terminal"), and maybe there could be
> a "CPU-bound application" choice that would set it in a CPU group of
> its own. Or whatever.

Well, my plan was actually to by default put everything into its own
group, and then let users opt-out of that for specific processes, if the
want to.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

  Last update: 2010-11-16 22:21    [W:0.286 / U:50.788 seconds]