SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 10:55 -0800, david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Paul Menage wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not quite the same, you're nesting one level deeper. But the reality is,
> >> not a lot of people will change their userspace.
> >
> > That's a weak argument - not a lot of people will (explicitly) change
> > their kernel either - they'll get a fresh kernel via their distro
> > updates, as they would get userspace updates. So it's only a few
> > people (distros) that actually need to make such a change.
>
> what is the downside of this patch going to be?
>
> people who currently expect all the processes to compete equally will now
> find that they no longer do so. If I am understanding this correctly, this
> could mean that a box that was dedicated to running one application will
> now have that application no longer dominate the system, instead it will
> 'share equally' with the housekeeping apps on the system.
>
> what would need to be done to revert to the prior situation?

build with: CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP=n,
boot with: noautogroup or
runtime: echo 0 > /proc/sysctl/kernel/sched_autogroup_enabled

(although the latter is a lazy one, it won't force existing tasks back
to the root group)

  Last update: 2010-11-16 20:01    [W:0.133 / U:6.064 seconds]