    SubjectRe: gcc 4.5.1 / as miscompiling drivers/char/i8k.c ?
    On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jakub Jelinek <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 07:21:50PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> So when Richard Gunther says "a memory clobber doesn't cover automatic
    >> storage", to me that very clearly spells "gcc is buggy as hell".
    >> Because automatic storage with its address taken _very_ much gets
    >> clobbered by things like memset etc. If the compiler doesn't
    >> understand that, the compiler is just broken.
    > I'll leave the discussion about meaning of "memory" clobber aside to
    > Richard,

    Of course GCC handles memset just fine. Note that I was refering
    to non-address taken automatic storage for "memory" (even though
    when double-checking the current implementation GCC even thinks
    that all address-taken memory is clobbered by asms as soon as
    they have at least one memory operand or a "memory" clobber).

    It's just that in future we might want to improve this and I think
    not covering non-address taken automatic storage for "memory"
    is sensible. And I see that you don't see address-taken automatic
    storage as a sensible choice to exclude from "memory", and I
    have noted that.

    Btw, I still haven't seen an testcase for the actual problem we are
    talking about.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-15 11:27    [W:0.039 / U:1.356 seconds]