SubjectRe: PROBLEM: first read of /dev/mcelog fails
On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 05:32 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:

> I recently took some time to look at the daemon side of mcelog. I found
> a few issues with that[0] that I will detail in a separate mail, but I
> am more concerned that in recent kernels, the first read() of the mcelog
> device performed by mcelog after boot always fails. 100% reproducible on
> several machines - mcelog client always bombs out in process() due to
> getting a "no such device" error from the kernel read attempt.
> The /dev/mcelog device exists, but the first read fails.

I am looking into this, time permitting. Can you give me an indication
of the current plans for mcelog support in the kernel? Given that we've
had various discussion recently about EDAC and other error reporting
mechanisms, I would like to know if you plan for mcelog to stick around.

> [0] ignoredev not documented, cache-error-trigger uses $CPUS_AFFECTED
> when it should be $AFFECTED_CPUS, mcelog-client socket is always created
> no matter what the config says (and not deleted on shutdown).

I sent you a separate mail with a pull request containing the first
batch of fixes to this tool (already in the Fedora package).

Jon.

  Last update: 2010-11-11 10:31    [W:0.031 / U:0.496 seconds]