    SubjectRe: Writing a console/tty driver -- how to use tty_port?
    On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:57:33 +0200
    Arnd Bergmann <> wrote:

    > On Wednesday 27 October 2010 23:04:13 Timur Tabi wrote:
    > > Do you have an updated version of Tiny TTY that uses tty_port structures? I'm
    > > trying to write a new TTY driver for a device that is not a UART, and I'm having
    > > a hard time finding a good example. I suspect I need to understand the tty_port
    > > structure, but I can't find any documentation for it.
    > If the device is not a UART, the best option may be to make the driver
    > a backend to the hvc driver, like e.g. drivers/char/hvc_tile.c.
    > This works for all devices with or without interrupts that don't need
    > to set up the communication parameters but simply provide a read/write
    > character interface.

    I really don't understand the love of hvc when the hvc drivers seem to be
    bigger than native tty_port code and haul a whole blob of extra midlayer
    glue into the system.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-10-29 19:33    [W:0.020 / U:102.428 seconds]